Water Skills for Life – Who are We?
Water Skills for Life is a not for profit charity organisation, which was incorporated on 11 March 2011. The charity is run by a dedicated team of volunteers who provide assistance in the prevention of drowning. Our volunteers are driven by passion, belief and dedication to provide assistance in the prevention of drowning.
We believe that everyone – no matter where they live, their cultural background or their financial situation - deserves the opportunity to learn to swim and be safe around the aquatic environment. We conduct volunteer swim programs in Australia and support charity programs overseas in Vietnam.
Our vision is to provide swimming and water safety skills and knowledge to children and adults, teacher training and funding assistance, both in Australia, on the northern beaches of Sydney, and in Vietnam. We have partnered with Swim Vietnam and Aquatic Training School - Swim Vietnam to help assist and support them to grow and expand their programs. Our future plans are to expand our programs further afield.
Your support can make a difference....if you can help with our mission, please volunteer or donate now!
Our Mission Statement – What we do
The Association is a non-profit charity organisation established for the following objectives:
Water Skills for Life Objectives
1. To promote, teach and encourage the arts of swimming, water safety and life saving
2. To educate the public & stimulate opinion in favor of providing & maintaining appropriate swimming facilities.
3. To promote the learning of swimming, water safety, life saving and the enjoyment and art of swimming.
4. To educate participants in the health benefits of swimming and water safety activities to allow them to gain a healthy lifestyle and to enjoy the aquatic environment and encourage them to join swim clubs and surf lifesaving clubs.
5. To do such things as are necessary and incidental to attain the objects of the association.
6. To affiliate with other kindred bodies as may be effected from time to time by the Committee, whose objectives are aligned with the association, and are bodies determined as being worthy by the association.
7. To arrange financial assistance to bodies throughout the world, who are deemed worthy by the association, by way of fund raising activities for the benefit of swimming, water safety and life saving programs.
8. To provide a talent pool of qualified swimming instructors, teachers and trainees to engage in the tuition of swimming on a voluntary basis in Australia and overseas, to assist bodies deemed worthy by the association.
9. To provide a pathway for persons interested in becoming a swim teacher by way of traineeships with the organisation and to assist them in gaining employment in the swimming industry.
Grants We Have Been Awarded
Water Skills for Life - Grants We Have Been Awarded
1. Dee Why RSL – Community Support Program - 2012 – 2019
2. NSW Government Ministry for Police and Emergency Services – Water Safety Blackspot Funding Program - 2013/14
3. Warringah Council - Community Development Grant - 2012/13, 2015/2016
4. Northern Beaches Council – 2018/19
5. Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs – Volunteers Grant – 2012 and 2019
6. Swimming Australia Grant – 2019/20
7. Office of Communities, Sport and Recreation – Participation and Facility Program - 2012
Supporters and Partners
Water Skills for Life are fortunate to have support to assist in achieving our goals – and we recognize and acknowledge and give a special thank you to the following organisations for their contribution. To become a supporter or partner with us, please contact us.